Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups commercially canned pumpkin
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk (1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons)
- 3 extra-large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 9-inch unbaked pastry pie crust shell
- Whipped cream
In a medium mixing bowl, place the brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg; stir to combine. Add the pumpkin and stir vigorously until well blended. Add the whole milk, evaporated milk, and eggs; stir until blended and smooth. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the pie shell.
Bake the pie for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. and continue baking for 45 additional minutes, or until a table knife inserted into the pumpkin filling halfway between the edge and the center of the pie comes out clean.
Remove the pie from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool. To serve, spoon a large dollop of whipped cream on top of each pie slice. After serving, leftover pie must be refrigerated.
Yield: 7 servings
Recipe Source: Blue Ribbon Country Cookbook by Diane Roupe (Crown Pub)
Reprinted with permission.