Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 cups (about 1 medium papaya) fresh papaya cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 9-inch graham cracker pie crust
Whisk together brown sugar and white sugar. Add papayas and toss to coat. Let rest for 10 minutes.
Place papayas with its juices in a heavy saucepan. Simmer 10 minutes. Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. Continue to cook about another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fruit is softened, but not falling apart.
Remove papaya mixture from the heat and let cool until lukewarm. Stir in beaten egg with a large fork until well-combined, taking care to leave the fruit in chunks.
Pour papaya filling into graham cracker pie crust. Bake for about 45 minutes. Let papaya pie cool before serving.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings (1 pie)