Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 pound penne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-fat (1%) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
- 1-1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese (5 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese (4 ounces)
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, saute 8 minutes or until tender. Remove form skillet.
Heat remaining oil in skillet. Add onion, saute 5 minutes. Add garlic; saute 2 minutes.
Whisk together flour and milk in a small bowl. Add to skillet. Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; add salt and nutmeg and simmer 5 minutes.
Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Lighly grease a 12 x 9 x 2-inch shallow baking dish.
In same pot used to cook penne, toss penne with sauce, mushrooms, lemon juice and pepper.
Combine all the cheddar, Swiss, and Monterey Jack cheeses in a bowl; set aside 1/4 cup. Add remaining cheese to penne mixture, stirring gently. Spoon into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
Bake, uncovered, in heated 400-degree F. oven, 20 to 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
Make-ahead tip: Prepare through all steps except baking. Refrigerate, covered, up to 3 days or freeze up to 1 month. To serve, if frozen, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bake as directed.
Yield: 8 servings
Source: Family Circle All-Time Favorite Recipes by Family Circle Magazine Editors (Doubleday)
Reprinted with permission.