Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or dry sherry
- 1 Tablespoon butter or non-diet canola or safflower oil margarine
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2-3/4 cups 1 percent fat milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese preferably freshly grated (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup grated nonfat Parmesan cheese topping (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped chives or thin-sliced scallion tops plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- 10 to 12 ounces non-egg fettuccine noodles cooked according to package
In a cup, combine cornstarch with 1/4 cup milk; stir to mix well. Stir remaining 2-1/2 cups milk into skillet. Bring liquid in pan to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in cornstarch mixture, stirring until mixture thickens. Boil 1 minute, stirring. Reduce heat so that sauce does not boil.
Stir in Parmesan cheeses. Stir in sour cream, mixing well and whisking if necessary to smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup chives, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and pepper, and stir well. Add salt, if using. Cook over very low heat an additional 2 to 3 minutes until flavors are well blended.
Arrange fettuccine on a serving platter. Top with sauce. Or serve individual portions of sauce over pasta. Garnish with additional chives, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: 537 calories, 29 grams protein, 12 grams fat, 77 grams carbohydrates, 29 milligrams cholesterol, 596 milligrams sodium, 20 percent calories from fat.
Recipe Source: Skinny Italian Cooking by Ruth Glick and Nancy Baggett (Surrey Books)
Reprinted with permission.