Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup kasha buckwheat groats, medium granulation
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2 Tablespoons rendered chicken fat or vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock or use canned
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup pasta bow ties
Place a pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta bow ties. (Do not cook them yet.)
In a 4-quart heavy stove-top covered casserole, heat the chicken fat or oil and saute the onions until clear. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the salt and pepper and the reserved kasha. Stir a bit and cover. Cook over low heat, stirring now and then, until the kasha is tender, about 10 minutes. If it is not done to your taste, cook for a few more minutes.
In the meantime, boil the pasta just until tender. Drain well and stir into the kasha.
Yield: 4 servings as a starch dish
Recipe Source: The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancesters by Jeff Smith (Wm Morrow & Co, Inc.)
Reprinted with permission.