Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 package French vanilla cake mix
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup mashed fresh papaya
- 1 cup raisins, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners' powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cream or whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In a large bowl, beat cake mix, eggs, oil, sour cream, water, applesauce, cinnamon, allspice, and ginger on low speed for 1 minute. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat for 2 additional minutes. Batter may look a little lumpy.
Fold in papaya, raisins, and pecans.
Fill muffin papers 3/4 full. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before frosting.
For the Frosting:
Beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar, cream, vanilla, and cinnamon until smooth. (Alternatively, you may simply sprinkle the muffins or bread with powdered sugar or omit topping completely.)
Note: Use the same method to make Papaya Raisin Bread. Pour batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour or until center tests done with a toothpick.
Yield: 24 muffins or 2 small loaves
Papaya Raisin Muffins Photo © 2007 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.