Sugar flavored with essential oils from edible flowers makes a delightfully different topping for cookies or as a sweetener for tea.
Time Required: 3 to 4 days
- Select edible flowers grown without pesticides. Lavender and roses are good choices.
- If the flowers are small, such as lavender, leave them attached. With roses, remove the petals and discard the stem.
- Place 1 cup of sugar into a zip-top bag.
- Add flowers to sugar.
- Squeeze out the air from the bag and seal.
- Let rest for 3 to 4 days.
- Sift the sugar from the flowers.
- Store sugar in an airtight container.
- Use flower sugar as a sprinkle for cookies or a sweetener for tea.
- Makes 1 cup.
- Do not use flowers from a florist or nursery as they are probably contaminated with pesticides.
- For color, you can add a tiny drop of food coloring to the finished sugar. Shake the sealed bag until the color is evenly distributed.
- Be certain the flowers you choose are edible.
What You Need
- Edible flowers
- Plastic resealable bags