Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours, 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 sweet onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 10 whole, peeled garlic cloves, large ones cut in half (or more to taste)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, brushed clean, large ones cut in half
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup strong beef broth (double-strength)
- 1 (14 ounces) can diced tomatoes (about 1-3/4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 small bay leaf, broken in half
Rub lamb shanks with Worcestershire sauce, then sprinkle all over with salt and pepper.
Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and brown the lamb shanks. Place browned lamb shanks, along with any browned bits from the skillet, in the slow cooker crock on top of the onions. Top with whole garlic cloves and mushrooms.
In a bowl, combine red wine, beef broth, tomatoes, oregano, basil, thyme, allspice, and bay leaf. Pour mixture over the vegetables and lamb shanks.
Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until tender. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
Serve with pan juices and vegetables.
You may wish to make this a day ahead of time and refrigerate. This way you can easily scrape off the excess fat from the gravy before reheating and serving.
Yield: 4 servings
Crockpot Lamb Shanks Recipe © 2012 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Suggested Related Recipes Pomegranate Lamb Recipe
Crockpot Irish Stew Recipe
Herbed Leg of Lamb Recipe
Irish American Lamb Stew Recipe
Lamb Cacciatore Recipe
Lamb Meatballs with Tzatziki Recipe
Lamb Shanks Italian-Style Recipe
Lamb Shanks with Portobello Mushrooms and Dried Cranberries Recipe
Pomegranate Lamb Lollipops Recipe
Braised Lamb Shanks with Sour Cream and Capers Recipe