Prep Time: 12†hours, 10†minutes
Cook Time: 1†hour
Total Time: 13†hours, 10†minutes
- 1 cup unsweetened pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup sweet red wine
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 lemon, unpeeled, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 (5- to 6-pound) leg of lamb, boned and butterflied
Add lamb to the bag, squeeze out the air, and gently massage the marinade into the lamb. Refrigerate 12 hours or overnight.
To Roast in the Oven:
Preheat oven to 325 F. Line a 9 x 12-inch baking pan with foil.
Remove lamb from marinade and place in the pan, fat-side up. Discard marinade. Roast in the oven until internal temperature reaches 145 F., about 2 hours. Let rest 15 minutes before cutting slices against the grain.
To Cook on the Grill:
Preheat coals in grill to medium.
Wipe the lamb of excess marinade. Grill, turning occasionally, until internal temperature of lamb reaches 145 F. Let rest 15 minutes before carving slices against the grain.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Pomegranate Lamb Photo © 2007 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.
• More Lamb Recipes