The Bottom Line
- Countertop model is a cool alternative to a conventional oven.
- Roasting rack with lifter handles for large meats and poultry.
- Stainless steel insert is removable and easy to clean.
- Requires a large storage space.
- May require special cooking methods to achieve browning of foods.
- 18-quart capacity.
- Variable temperature control heats from 200 F. to 450 F.
- Roasting rack with lifter handles for large meat or poultry.
- Removable stainless steel insert is easy to clean.
- Roaster may be used to roast, cook, bake, steam, and slow-cook.
- Preheating roaster oven for 20 minutes is recommended.
- Instructions include general cooking times and temperatures for most foods, plus conversion tips.
- Optional buffet server kit available for use as a food warmer.
Guide Review - Nesco® 18-Quart Roaster Oven
The Nesco® roaster oven is a countertop stand-alone oven with a temperature dial just like a standard range oven. Unlike a low-high slow cooker, you can regulate the temperature at will to suit your recipe.
Although these roasters are most-loved for freeing up the standard oven for baking the turkey during holidays, it can also be used for steaming, baking desserts, and as a buffet server.
Unlike Grandma's original standby, the current models have removable cookwell inserts. The stainless steel model is easy to clean, although bulky to maneuver in a standard sink. Put it in your dishwasher, if you have one to accomodate such a size, but I don't recommend it. Dishwasher detergents can eventually pit the surface. Just let it soak in hot soapy water and use a non-abrasive cleaner and scrubber for tough spots.
You'll probably need to either pre-brown meats or follow special instructions to achieve a golden turkey. The closed cooking environment is not conducive to browning.
Thumbs up on this one, but plan ahead for storage space. It's big.
Nesco® Roaster Accessories