The Bottom Line
- Automatically filters, drains, and stores oil.
- Parts are dishwasher safe, except heating element.
- Four frying temperatures.
- Oil storage container in bottom of unit.
- Indicator light tells when oil needs to be changed.
- Care must be taken to properly align the oil drainage pan to avoid leakage.
- Takes up to 3 hours to fully filter oil.
- Automatic oil filtering process cleans oil for re-use.
- Oil change indicator light tells when to change oil.
- All parts, except heating element, are safe to wash in sink or dishwasher.
- Self-contained removable oil storage pan.
- Short heating time for oil, usually less than 5 minutes.
- Four temperature settings.
- Indicator light tells when oil has reached the proper temperature.
- Cooking chart with recommended settings and times included.
- Oil capacity: 12 cups minimum/14 cups maximum.
- Manufacturer's suggested list price $149.99.
Guide Review - Emerilware Deep Fryer
It takes up to 3 hours for the oil to filter and drain, so you'll have to exercise patience before you can clean the unit. On the upside, all of the parts are dishwasher-safe, with the exception of the electrical heating element which is easily wiped clean with a damp sponge.
The tested unit had a little play in the locking mechanism that secures the oil drain pan in position. If not properly aligned, minor oil leakage can occur.
The fryer may be used with or without the basket and/or lid, helpful when making battered fried foods or doughnuts. The fryer basket handle folds in for easier placement in the dishwasher. The unit heats the oil to the desired temperature in a short time, usually under 5 minutes, and has a handy red indicator light that switches on when the correct temperature has been reached. Minimum oil capacity is 12 cups and maximum is 14 cups. There are fill lines embossed on the inside of the fryer oil well and the fryer basket.
The fryer has 4 temperature settings ranging from 320F/160C to 375F/190C as well as a built-in variable timer.
My recipe tests included originals as well as frozen food, and the unit performed admirably. Recommended.