The Bottom Line
- Programmable timer.
- Three heat settings.
- Multi-use removable crock insert.
- Requires heat diffuser (included) on electric stoves which adds to saute time.
- Programmable controls range from 30 minutes to 20 hours, with automatic switch to warm setting when time has expires.
- May also be used as a standard manual crockpot.
- Stylish stoneware crock may be used to saute foods on the stovetop before finishing in the slow-cook mode.
- Removable 6-quart crock does double duty as a stand-alone Dutch oven as well as a serving dish.
- Non-stick stoneware crock is safe for the dishwasher, oven, microwave, and stove-top.
- Included heat diffuser rack must be used on electric coil or glass stove-tops.
- Three heat settings include Low, High, and Warm.
- LED read-out on timer tells how much cooking time is left.
- Includes recipe booklet with 50 recipes.
- Online support.
Guide Review - Crock-Pot® Versaware Pro Model SCV1600B-SS
One of the problems with slow-cooked foods is the lack of browning. The non-stick removable crock may be used to saute foods on the stove-top before finishing in slow-cook mode, thus negating the need for an additional skillet. However, the time needed for the crock to heat on the heat diffuser rack on electric stoves may not be worth the time saved on washing an additional cooking vessel. It could add an additional 30 minutes of preparation time. The response time is much faster and worthy on a gas stove-top.
The stoneware crock may be used in a standard oven or microwave and is safe in the dishwasher or refrigerator. Be sure to use plastic or wooden utensils to avoid scratching the non-stick surface.
The timer is perhaps the nicest feature. You may dial in cooking times from 30 minutes to 20 hours. When the cooking time is up, the unit automatically switches to the Warm setting. LED timer counts down cooking time so you can easily track the progress of your meal. It may also be used in manual mode without the timer.
My old Crock-Pot® still performs well after 26 years, but I had been searching for a larger capacity, oval one. If you have been thinking of replacing your old slow cooker, this is the one to add to your gift wish-list. Highly recommended.