Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 large loaf (or 2 small loaves) unsliced rustic or artisan bread
- 1 pound (2 x 250g packets) defrosted frozen spinach (or equivalent fresh spinach, blanched and chopped), optional
- 1 (30g) packet of dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream (may use light)
- 8 ounces (250mg) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 scallions (green or spring onions), finely chopped
- 1 cup of shredded cheese of choice
- Curry powder to taste
Cut a "lid" from the top of the loaf. Hollow out the center, retaining the pieces for dipping later.
Press out any excess liquid from the defrosted spinach. Combine spinach, dry onion soup mix, mayonnaise, sour cream, cream cheese, scallions, shredded cheese, and curry powder to taste. Pour into the center(s) of the loaf (loaves). Replace the lid.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes until center is hot and melted. Do not over-bake or the bread may become too crusty and hard. (The loaf may be microwaved if the center is not completely hot and melted.)
Serve cob loaf with the retained bread pieces from the center, plus additional crackers of choice for dipping.
Yield: about 8 servings
Recipe Source: Traditional recipe as made by Shirl Brain, New Zealand
Cob Loaf Recipe Photo © 2009 Shirl Brain, licensed to About.com, Inc.