Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 22 minutes
Total Time: 32 minutes
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup natural pistachio nuts, chopped
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat (2 percent) milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
Spoon into 12 greased, paper-lined muffin cups. Spoon topping over batter. Bake at 400 F. for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown, turning pan around after 15 minutes for even browning. Cool 5 minutes; then remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Mix pistachios with brown sugar. Sprinkle on top of muffin batter before baking.
Yield: 12 muffins
Pistachios Crunch Muffins: Mix 1/4 cup dark or golden raisins and 1 tablespoon grated orange peel into dry ingredients.
Source: California Pistachio Commission