Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 6 ounces (3/4 cup) cream cheese (3/4 of a large 8-ounce block) at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (about) white chocolate chips
- Muffin Batter
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted but cooled
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen strawberries, chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/8 cup pureed fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make Filling: Whip the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add 1 egg and vanilla extract, beating only until combined. Set aside.
Make muffin batter: In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, vegetable oil, milk, strawberries, eggs, and vanilla extract. Stir strawberry mixture into flour mixture, mixing only until combined.
Fill muffin cups 1/3 full with batter. Spoon in about 1 teaspoon of cream cheese filling. Drop 3 white chocolate chips into each muffin cup. Top with more muffin batter until cups are 3/4 full.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes (see note) until edges of mini-muffins are lightly browned. Cool on racks to room temperature before frosting.
Make Frosting: Whip cream cheese until smooth. Add strawberry puree, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla extract; blend until smooth. Frost muffins. Refrigerate to set frosting. Remove from refrigerator 20 minutes before serving.
Note: For regular-sized muffins, bake 30 to 35 minutes.
Yield: 48 mini-muffins or 12 regular muffins
Photo © 2006 Peggy Trowbridge, licensed to About.com, Inc.