Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- Pastry for single-crust 9-lnch (22 cm) pie
- 1 cup (240 mL) dried rose hips
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) milk
- 1-1/2 cups (360 mL) sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) shortening
- 1-3/4 cups (420 mL) brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 egg whites
- Pecan halves (optional)
Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Cream in shortening and brown sugar, mixing well. This makes a crumbly mixture - reserve 1 cup (240 mI) for topping. To the remainder add the egg yolks, milk and rose hips.
Beat the egg whites until peaks hold form. Fold into the berry mixture.
Spoon into pie pan and sprinkle with the crumbly topping. Garnish with pecan halves, too, if you wish.
Bake at 350 degrees F. (175 degrees C.) for 35 to 45 minutes or until pie appears well done.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Recipe Source: Alaska Wild Berry Guide and Cookbook (Alaska Northwest Publishing)
Reprinted with permission.