Prep Time: 3†hours, 10†minutes
Cook Time: 5†minutes
Total Time: 3†hours, 15†minutes
- 1/3 cup sugar (equivalent Splenda sugar substitute may be used)
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 pounds seedless watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon grenadine or pomegranate juice, optional
- 6 thin watermelon wedges for garnish
Place half of the watermelon and half of the lime juice in a heavy-duty blender and process until smooth. Repeat with remaining watermelon and lime juice. Return all of the puree to the blender. Add simple syrup and grenadine. Pulse until combined.
Press puree through a coarse strainer, pushing through the solids. Pour into a 9- x 13-inch glass baking dish. Freeze, stirring and scraping with a fork every 30 minutes, until all of the liquid has frozen. This should take about 3 hours. May be held in the freezer up to 2 days.
Stir again before serving. Serve watermelon granita in margarita glasses or large wine goblets and garnish with the watermelon wedges.
Yield: about 6 servings