Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 pounds firm, ripe nectarines (or peaches), pitted and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 pint raspberries
- 1 pint blueberries
- Juice from 1 fresh lemon
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch (mix with cinnamon and nutmeg)
- 1/2 cup polenta (or coarse cornmeal)
- 1/4 cup flour, sifted and mixed with: 1 teaspoon baking powder plus 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup skim or non-fat milk
- 1/4 cup medium-chopped hazelnuts or pecans
- Butter spray
In large bowl, toss nectarines or peaches, raspberries, and half the blueberries with lemon juice. Add 1/3 cup sugar and the cornstarch-spice mixture. Toss until just blended. Place in baking dish and spread to edge.
In a separate bowl, combine polenta, flour mixture, milk, remaining blueberries, 1/4 cup sugar, and nuts. Spoon over fruit and spray with butter spray. Bake 30 minutes, until golden and fruit bubbles up. Do not overcook the fruit -- it should not be mushy!
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Recipe Source: Breaking Bread: A Family History Preserved By Seven Sisters by Seven Rossi Sisters (Seven Sisters & An Angel) - Out of print
Reprinted with permission.