Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 14 minutes
Total Time: 29 minutes
Yield: 70 cookies
- 1-1/2 cups (6-1/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups (10-1/2 ounces) sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons (3/4 stick, 3 ounces) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 3/4 cup (2-1/4 ounces) cocoa powder, Ghiradelli preferred
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (may use miniature chips)
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) confectioners' sugar, for coating cookies
Scrape the melted butter into a smaller bowl with a spatula and add the cocoa powder. Stir until combined and no lumps remain. Mix vanilla extract with eggs, then whisk into cocoa butter mixture.
Add wet mixture to dry flour mixture and mix thoroughly by hand with a rubber spatula. It may seem as if you need more liquid, but do not add any. Just keep folding and pressing until the mixture comes together. It will eventually reach the consistency of stiff brownie batter. Fold in chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes to firm up.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with silpat baking liners or parchment paper. (If you do not line the baking sheets, be sure to lightly grease them.)
Pour confectioners' powdered sugar into a small bowl. Scoop dough by teaspoons, roll into balls, and drop into powdered sugar, rolling around to cover completely. Place on prepared baking sheets 1-1/2 inches apart.
Bake cookies for 12 to 15 minutes. The cookies will spread, puff a bit, and form cracks. The longer you cook them, the more crispy they will become. Let cool 10 minutes on the cookie sheets before using a spatula to remove to racks and cool completely. Store in a covered container.
Yield: about 70 cookies, depending on size
Brownie Crackle-Top Cookies Recipe Photo © 2011 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Suggested Related Recipes• Bittersweet Brownie Cookies Recipe
• Marshmallow Brownie Sandwich Cookies Recipe
• Peanut Butter Stuffed Brownie Bites Recipe
• Black & White Shortcut Cookies Recipe
• Chewy Peanut Chocolate Drops Cookies Recipe
• Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies Recipe
• Dipped Peanut Butter Meltaway Cookies Recipe
• Flourless Chocolate Peanut Butter Kisses Recipe
• The Real Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
• Urban Legend Mrs. Field's Cookie Recipe