Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 24 to 36 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, cashews, peanuts, etc.), optional
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-grated nutmeg (or 1/8 teaspoon ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 to 3 large bananas)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Cinnamon Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons milk or cream
In a small bowl, combine flour, chopped nuts, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk until evenly mixed and set aside.
In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil. Add bananas, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract. Beat for 2 minutes until thoroughly combined. Using a large fork, stir in dry ingredients by hand, stirring only until combined. Batter may seem a bit thin, but it's fine.
Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until lightly browned and top springs back when lightly touched. Let cool to room temperature.
Whisk together confectioner's sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and milk or cream. Add only enough cream to make a spreadable glaze. Top cooled cake with cinnamon glaze before cutting.
Yield: 24 to 36 servings, depending on cut size
Banana Cake Recipe Photo © 2012 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Suggested Related Recipes Classic Banana Pudding Recipe
Banana Nut Cheesecake Recipe
Banana Choco-Chip Mini-Muffins Recipe
Banana Pineapple Streusel Muffins Recipe
Banana Zucchini Bread Recipe
Chocolate Chip Banana Cream Mini-Muffins Recipe
Chocolate Nut Banana Cream Cake Recipe
Pumpkin Banana Bread Recipe