Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 24 to 36 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice (or lemon)
- Milk or cream, as needed (see intructions)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 13-inch pan with non-stick foil.
In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and allspice. Make a well in the center. Add oil, applesauce and beaten eggs. Mix well. Fold in plumped raisins. Pour into pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
In small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add vanilla extract and confectioners' sugar. Blend in lime juice. If the frosting is too thick, add just enough milk or cream, a few drops at a time, to make frosting smooth and easy to spread. Smooth frosting on top of cooled cake. Refrigerate cake for at least 1 hour to set the frosting.
Yield: 24 to 36 servings, depending on cut size
Applesauce Raisin Cake Recipe Photo © 2011 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Suggested Related Recipes
• Apple Coffee Cake Recipe
• Apple Squares with Pecans Recipe
• Peach Raisin Coffee Cake Recipe
• Spiced Carrot Raisin Cake Recipe
• Kitchen Sink Cake Recipe
• More Cake Recipes