Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 10 ounces (285 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 16 Tbsp (240 ml) unsalted butter, at room temperature (2 sticks)
- 4 ounces (112 g) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) each Splenda and Canadian Sugar Twin or 1 cup (240 ml) Splenda
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp (10 ml) instant coffee granules
- 1-1/2 tsp (7.5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 tsp (7.5 ml) pure chocolate extract (optional)
- 1-1/2 cups (360 ml) almond meal (finely ground almonds)
- 6 Tbsp (90 ml) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp (1.2 ml) sea salt
- 1-1/2 tsp (7.5 ml) baking powder
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the chocolate and sweetener. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping the bowl well after each addition. Add the coffee and vanilla and chocolate extracts. Beat until combined.
In a medium bowl, mix the almond meal, cocoa, salt, and baking powder. Add to the chocolate mixture and beat well. Scrape into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is firm. Cool on a wire rack before cutting. Store brownies covered, in the refrigerator.
Yield: 48 brownies
Per brownie. Effective carbohydrates: 1.5 g; Carbohydrates: 2.1 g; Fiber: 0.6 g; Protein: 2.1 g; Fat: 9.7 g; Calories: 99
Made with Splenda only: Add 0.3 g carbohydrates
Recipe from: The Low-Carb Gourmet: 250 Delicious and Satisfying Recipes by Karen Barnaby (Rodale, Inc.)
Copyright 2004 by Karen Barnaby. Reprinted with express written permission.