Crystallized or candied ginger is very easy to make at home with these instructions. Use in desserts and confections.
Time Required: 45 minutes
- Peel and thinly slice 1 pound (500 grams) fresh gingerroot.
- Place sliced ginger in a heavy saucepan.
- Cover with water.
- Cook gently until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drain off water.
- Weigh the cooked ginger and measure an equal amount of sugar.
- Return ginger to saucepan.
- Add sugar and 3 Tablespoons water.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often, and cook until ginger is transparent and liquid has almost evaporated.
- Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, until almost dry.
- Toss cooled ginger in sugar to coat.
- Store crystallized (candied) ginger in an airtight jar for up to 3 months.
- Crystallized or candied ginger is used in desserts and confections.
What You Need
- Fresh ginger
- Heavy saucepan
- Sealable glass jar for storage