Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 24 to 36 servings
- 1 can (15 ounces) blackberry fruit filling or topping in light syrup
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 16 Tablespoons) cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 12 ounces (1-1/2 large packages) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Strain blackberries over a bowl and reserve juice. Press berries through a fine mesh sieve into the juice to remove the seeds. Add cornstarch and mix until smooth. In a saucepan, bring berry mixture slowly to simmer, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken. Remove from heat and let cool.
Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half of mixture into baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool cool slightly.
Blend cream cheese until smooth, then beat in powdered sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating only until incorporated. Then beat in vanilla and lemon juice.
Spread blackberry mixture evenly over bottom crust. Place dollops of cream cheese mixture evenly over blackberry mix and swirl gently, if desired. Top with remaining half of crumb mixture.
Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until center is no longer jiggly. Cool to room temperature. Lift out bars by the foil insert and cut into bars. Refrigerate until chilled before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Yield: 24 to 36 cookie bars
Blackberry Cheesecake Bars Recipe Photo © 2011 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.