Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 24 to 36 servings
- 4 ounces (half a large block) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 8 Tablespoons (1 stick or 1/2 cup) butter, melted, but at room temperature
- 1 box (18.25 ounces) chocolate devil's food cake mix
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1/2 pound or 2 large bananas)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting, optional
For the Bottom:
Cream 4 ounces of cream cheese, 1 egg, and butter together on low speed until combined, about 1 minute. Mix in cake mix by hand until combined. (It may seem that you need liquid, but, you don't. Just fold and press the mixture with a spatula until it comes together.) It will be very thick, but piable like a soft dough. Press into bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
For the Topping:
Place cream cheese, bananas, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Begin mixing on low speed until sugar is incorporated. Increase to medium speed and beat until smooth, at least 3 minutes or longer if need be. Add eggs one at a time, beating only until incorporated. Spread cream cheese batter evenly over bottom chocolate layer.
Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 minutes. Cool completely. Carefully remove from pan, peel off foil, and cut into squares. If desired, dust prior to serving, dust with powdered sugar.
Yield: 24 to 36 bar cookies
Black Bottom Banana Cheesecake Bars Recipe Photo © 2010 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.