Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- Lavender Sugar:
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lavender flowers or 1 Tablespoon dried
- 1 cup superfine white sugar
- 1 cup plus 1-1/2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup lavender sugar, divided use
- Pinch of salt
- 4 Tablespoons (1/4 cup or 1/2 stick) cold butter, cut into pieces
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons sweet white wine
- 12 leaves of fresh lavender, chopped finely
Make the Cookies: Preheat oven to 375 F. Line cookie sheets with Silpat baking liners, parchment paper, or lightly grease with butter.
Remove 1 tablespoon of the measured 1/3 cup lavender sugar and set aside. Whisk together remaining sugar, flour, and salt until combined.
Rub butter into the flour using your fingertips or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in wine and lavender leaves. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. It should bond together.
Gather up the dough and place on a floured board. Roll into a rectangle 1/8-inch thick. Use a pizza wheel or a sharp knife to cut strips to cut strips 2 inches long by 1 inch wide. Twist each strip once in the center to resemble a bow and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until edges barely begin to turn brown.
Cool on wire racks and dust with remaining tablespoon of lavender sugar.
Yield: about 36 cookies