Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 27 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable oil (shortening)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (not imitation)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until well-combined.
Add flour, coconut, and macadamia nuts. Stir with a large fork just until combined.
Scoop tablespoons of dough and place on prepared baking sheets 2 inches apart. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until golden. Let cool 5 minutes and remove to racks to completely cool. Store in a covered container.
Yield: about 3 dozen