Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 24 to 36 servings
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 8 Tablespoons butter, melted, but at room temperature (1 stick)
- 1 box (18.25 ounces) chocolate devil's food cake mix
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 heaping Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup mint-flavored chocolate chips
For the Bottom:
Cream 4 ounces of cream cheese, 1 egg and butter together on low speed until combined, about 1 minute. Blend in cake mix by hand until combined. It will be very thick, but piable like a soft dough. (It may seem like you need to add liquid, but resist the temptation. Just keep turning and pressing with a spatula until it comes together.) Press evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Evenly sprinkle on the chocolate chips and press lightly into the batter with a spatula, but do not bury them.
For the Topping:
Place cream cheese, 2 eggs, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder in a small bowl. Begin mixing on low speed until sugar and cocoa are incorporated. Increase to medium speed and beat until smooth, at least 3 minutes or longer if need be. Spread evenly over bottom layer. Sprinkle on mint chocolate chips.
Bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into squares to serve.
Yield: 24 to 36 bar cookies, depending on cut size
If you cannot find mint-flavored chocolate chips, substitute traditional chocolate chips, plus add 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract to the cream cheese layer. Feel free to experiment using other flavored cake mixes and chips.
Mint Chocolate Cream Cheese Bars Recipe Photo © 2010 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.