Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 8 Tablespoons butter, melted, but at room temperature (1 stick)
- 1 box (18.25 ounces) chocolate devil's food cake mix
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup raspberry-flavored chocolate chips
For the Bottom:
Cream 4 ounces of cream cheese, 1 egg, and butter together on low speed until combined, about 1 minute. Blend in cake mix by hand until combined. It will be very thick (and give your arm a workout!), but piable like a soft dough. Using a spatula, press evenly into the bottom of the foiled pan. Evenly sprinkle on chocolate chips and press lightly into the batter with a spatula, but do not bury them.
For the Topping:
Place cream cheese, 2 eggs, and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Begin mixing on low speed until sugar is incorporated. Increase to medium speed and beat until smooth, at least 3 minutes or longer if need be. Spread evenly over bottom layer. Sprinkle on raspberry chocolate chips.
Bake at 350 degrees F. for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Carefully remove from pan, peel off foil, and cut into squares to serve.
Yield: 24 to 36 cookie bars, depending on cut size
If you cannot find raspberry-flavored chocolate chips, substitute any other flavor or plain chips. Feel free to experiment using other flavored cake mixes.
Raspberry Double Chocolate Cream Cheese Bars Recipe Photo © 2008 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.