Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3/4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter
- 3-2/3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Add molasses mixture and egg. Mix well. Refrigerate at least one hour until dough becomes stiff enough to roll.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.
Divide dough in half. Place each half between sheets of plastic wrap and roll out to a thickness of 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick. Refrigerate one half while you roll out the other half, so dough is kept cold.
Dip the gingerbread man cookie cutter in flour and cut shapes. Place on prepared cookie sheets. If using the raisins to decorate, press into place now. Bake 12 to 15 minutes until lightly browned around the edges. Cool completely on wire racks, then decorate cookies as desired.
Yield: about 16 gingerbread men
• Gingerbread House Instructions
• Gingerbread House Storage and Decoration
• Gingerbread House Recipe