Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 4 ounces (squares) unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- 1/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
- Chocolate Glaze:
- 8 ounces whipped topping (such as Cool Whip®)
- 6 ounces bittersweet baking chocolate (Hershey's® recommended)
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheets with Silpat baking liners or parchment paper.
Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place 1-1/2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Do not overbake or the cookies will become crispy rather than chewy. Let rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
Break chocolate into large chunks and place in a 4-cup glass measuring cup or deep micro-safe bowl. Add half of whipped topping and microwave on High for 1 minute. Remove and stir for 1 minute. Add remaining whipped topping and microwave another 30 seconds. Whisk until all chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Whisk in confectioners' sugar, beating until there are no lumps. Let the mixture rest for 10 minutes to thicken up.
Swirl the tops of the cookies in the chocolate glaze and place on waxed paper. Let stand, uncovered, 3 to 4 hours to dry and set glaze.
Yield: about 72 cookies
Chewy Chocolate Peanut Drops Cookies Recipe Photo © 2007 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.