Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 14 minutes
Total Time: 34 minutes
- Cookie Dough:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried mixed fruit (cranberries, blueberries, raisins, etc.), soaked in hot water, drained, and patted dry
- 1/2 cup shelled pecans
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting, optional
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to creamed mixture, half at a time, beating until incorporated. Refrigerate at least 1 hour until firm.
Place prepared dried fruit, pecans, orange zest, brown sugar, and cream cheese in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Process until nuts and fruit are finely chopped.
On a lightly floured piece of plastic wrap, quickly roll chilled dough into a 10-inch square.
Spread the fruit mixture over the dough, leaving 1/2-inch edge at both ends of dough. Roll up tightly, jelly roll style. Wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill for several hours or overnight.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheets with Silpat baking liners, parchment paper, or grease sheets generously.
Using a large sharp knife, cut chilled roll into 1/4-inch slices and place on cookie sheets. Bake for 14 minutes, or until edges are light brown. Cool completely. Dust cookies with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Yield: about 4 dozen cookies
Fruit and Nut Cream Swirl Cookies Photo Â© 2006 Peggy Trowbridge, licensed to About.com, Inc.