Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes
- 1 fresh, ripe pineapple (about 3 pounds)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup light or dark rum, or orange juice
- 1/3 cup light packed brown sugar
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup dried currants
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 (4-by-1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and julienned
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 5 whole cloves secured in cheesecloth, or 1 teaspoon ground cloves
Place the pineapple, cinnamon stick, rum, brown sugar, onion, currants, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and cloves in the insert of the slow cooker. Stir well, cover, and cook on HIGH for 2 to 4 hours, or until the ginger is soft and the flavors have melded. The pineapple won't soften very much as it cooks.
Turn off the slow cooker and let the sauce cool, uncovered, in the insert. Spoon into a sterilized container and refrigerate. The sauce will keep for up to 6 months.
Yield: about 5 cups
Recipe Source: Slow Cooker Cooking by Lora Brody (William Morrow & Co.)
Reprinted with permission.