Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 5 pint jars, washed and sterilized
- 10 pounds fresh asparagus, washed, cleaned and cut into 4-3/4-inch spears
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 Tablespoon pickling spice, placed in a gauze bag
- 2 Tablespoons canning (pickling) salt
- Per Jar:
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed or dill seed
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, optional
- 1 onion slice
Combine vinegar, water, mustard seed, canning salt, and bag of pickling spice into saucepan and boil for 15 minutes. Remove bag of spices and discard.
Pour brine over asparagus, and seal jars.
Place jars into canner of boiling water for 10 minutes. Cool.
Cook's Note: Asparagus amount depends on how tightly it is packed into the jars. If you have any left over, cut and freeze in freezer bags.
Yield: 5 pints
Recipe Source: Doris Erickson, Oxford Junction, Iowa
Reprinted with permission.