Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 24 medium (6 pounds or 2.5 kg) green tomatoes, chopped
- 15 medium (3 pounds or 1.5 kg) onions , chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) coarse salt
- 3 cups (750 ml) white vinegar
- 2 cups (500 ml) granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons (90 ml) mixed pickling spices, tied in cheesecloth
In a large saucepan or stock pot, bring mixture to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, for about 30 to 45 minutes, stirring frequently until slightly thickened. Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal.
Yield: Approximately 12 cups ( 3 Liters)
Recipe Source: A Taste of Quebec by Julian Armstrong (Hippocrene Books)
Reprinted with permission.