Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 2 pounds (1 kg) green tomatoes, chopped
- 2 pounds (1 kg) tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 pound (250 g) onions, chopped
- 1 pound (500 g) raisins
- 3-3/4 cups (750 g) light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 teaspoons quatre-épices (four spices)
- 2 Tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 cups (700 ml) wine vinegar
Stir as the mixture thickens about 45 minutes.
When thick, transfer chutney to sterilized jars. Seal when cool. Store in a cool, dark place.
Yield: About 8 pounds
Recipe Source: The Encyclopedia of Herbs, Spices & Flavorings by Elizabeth Lambert Ortiz (Dorling Kindersley, Inc.)
Reprinted with permission.