Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups shredded green head cabbage or Napa cabbage or chopped bok choy
- 1/4 cup peanut or other oil
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup stemmed, seeded, and minced red bell pepper
- 1 Tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup any vinegar
- 1/2 cup water, or more if needed
- 1/4 cup sugar, honey, or other sweetener
- Minced fresh mint, parsley, or cilantro leaves for garnish
Meanwhile, place the oil in a broad saucepan or large, deep skillet and turn the heat to medium-low. Add the garlic, onion, red pepper, and ginger and cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the pepper, vinegar, water, salt, and sweetener and turn the heat to medium. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
Add the carrots and cabbage and cook until the vegetables are very tender, 15 minutes or more. If more water is needed, add it. Taste and adjust seasoning. Use within 2 days, and serve hot, warm, or at room temperature. Garnish just before serving.
Yield: about 4 cups
Recipe Source: How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman (Macmillan)
Reprinted with permission.