Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup kalamata or mixed green and black olives
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Grated peel (no white attached) of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the pitted olives, onion, capers, oregano, olive oil, vinegar, and lemon peel. Process to a spreading consistency. Season to taste with the pepper and store in a small jar in the refrigerator.
Yield: 1 cup
Author's Note: This paste is a great way to perk up soups or stews. You can spread it on crackers or French bread, add it to pasta or deviled eggs, or mix it with a vinaigrette to create a unique salad dressing or marinade for steamed vegetables. Its uses are unlimited and it lasts for 6 months in the refrigerator.
Recipe Source: Everyday Meals From A Well-Stocked Pantry by Natalie Dupree (Potter)
Reprinted with permission.