Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1/2 cup prepared chunky salsa
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (not converted rice)
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in a 2-quart covered saucepan. Add rice and stir constantly until rice turns begins to turn white (not golden). Add onion and and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 additional minutes. Slowly add liquid mixture (be careful as it will steam a lot). Stir in diced tomato and bring to a boil.
Cover tightly, reduce heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes. No peeking! Stir in cilantro with a fork. Fluff and serve.
This rice goes great with Taco Meatballs or Meatloaf.
Yield: 4 servings
Spanish Rice Photo © 2011 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.