Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
- 3 Cornish game hens, livers and gizzards removed and rinsed
- 3 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 large shallots, peeled and quartered
- 3 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons coarse-grained mustard
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons fines herbes
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Place rock Cornish game hens in a large ovenproof baking dish. Place 1 clove garlic, several pieces of shallots, and 1 rosemary sprig into the cavity of each game hen. Rub 1/2 teaspoon salt into the cavity of the hens.
In a small bowl, combine mustards, fines herbes, paprika, fennel seed, pepper, red pepper flakes, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and whisk thoroughly. Coat game hens thoroughly with mixture.
Place in oven and roast for 1-1/4 hours. Remove from oven and serve with buttered corn and braised Swiss chard.
Yield: 3 to 6 servings
Recipe Source: Chef John Ash, Fetzer Vineyards
Reprinted with permission.