Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Cornish hens, 1-1/2 pounds each, cut into 8 pieces (4 breasts with the wing and 4 legs)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 leeks, cut into small cubes (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 cups cubed into 1/2-inch pieces peeled plum tomatoes
- 24 green olives stuffed with pimientos
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as California Chardonnay
- 1 cup fresh or canned chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads or turmeric
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- 4 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
When the oil starts to become hot, add the hen pieces, skin side down. Cook over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Turn and cook 5 minutes more.
Add the onions, leeks, and garlic, and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, green olives, thyme, wine, chicken broth, bay leaf, saffron or turmeric, Tabasco, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir and scrape the bottom of the skillet to dissolve any brown particles on it. Cover tightly and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the thyme sprigs, if used, and the bay leaf. If there is too much liquid, reduce the sauce a bit. Sprinkle with chopped basil and serve.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe Source: "Cooking In America" by Pierre Franey (Alfred A. Knopf)
Reprinted with permission.
Sauteed Cornish Hens with Olives Recipe Photo © 2011 John McShane, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Suggested Related Recipes Braised Cornish Hens Recipe
Cornish Hens with Cherry Sauce Recipe
Fruit Cornish Hens Recipe
Herb-Glazed Cornish Hens with Pasta Recipe
Orange Marmalade Cornish Hens Recipe
Spicy Cornish Hens Recipe