Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2-1/2 pounds precut chicken wings, or whole wings cut into 2 pieces at joint, tips discarded
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon mesquite-flavored liquid smoke
Prepare medium-hot charcoal fire or preheat gas grill to medium high. Grill wings over medium-high heat, turning often, until skin begins to get crispy, about 15 minutes.
In medium bowl, mix ketchup, vinegar, honey, brown sugar, cumin, coriander, onion powder, black pepper, red pepper sauce, and liquid smoke together and baste wings, turning often. (Basting earlier will cause wings to burn because of the high sugar content in the sauce). Continue grilling, basting often, until wings are cooked through and slightly charred but not burned, about another 10 minutes.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Recipe Source: 52 Ways to Wing It by Charles Reavis (Macmillan Publishing)
Reprinted with permission.