Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 Tablespoons olive or salad oil
- 1 pound yams, peeled and cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 1 small red onion, cut into eighths, layers separated
- 1 pound boned and skinned chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup minced green onions
- Cooking Sauce:
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
Turn heat to high and add remaining tablespoon of oil to pan. When hot, add chicken and ginger. Stir-fry chicken until no longer pink in center (cut to test), about 4 minutes.
Add vegetables, soy sauce, sherry, water, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Stir until the sauce boils. Add green onion and return mixture to platter.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe Source: Sunset Recipe Annual 1990 (Sunset Publishing)
Reprinted with permission.