Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 package dry taco seasoning mix
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 ounces block Cheddar cheese cut into 6 equal strips
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 can (about 4.5 ounces) chopped mild green chiles
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 4 ounces additional shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 ounces jarred or homemade salsa
Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry. Pound chicken to about 1/4-inch thickness, until flat.
In a bowl, combine cornmeal and taco seasoning mix. Place egg in a separate bowl.
For each roll place Cheddar cheese strips, green chiles, cilantro, and crushed red pepper flakes near edge of one pounded breast. Fold in sides and roll, starting from the cheese/pepper side. (Secure with toothpick, if necessary, but remember to remove the toothpick before serving.) Dip rolls in egg, then roll in cornmeal mixture.
Place chicken rolls, seam-side down in prepared pan. Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle with shredded cheese the last 5 minutes of baking. Serve topped with heated salsa.
Yield: 6 servings
Mexican Stuffed Chicken Breasts Recipe Photo © 2009 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.