Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Pre-Soak Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 fryer chicken, cut up into serving pieces
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 green onions, sliced, tops included
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced or quartered
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 pint (2 cups) sour cream, divided use
- 1-1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese
Measure flour, paprika, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and onion powder into a large plastic bag. Seal and shake to combine. Add chicken to the bag and shake to coat the pieces. Shake off any excess flour, reserving excess flour mixture, and place chicken pieces on a platter.
Place a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the olive oil and quickly brown the chicken, turning only once.
Arrange the browned chicken in the drained claypot, placing dark meat on the bottom and breast pieces on top. Top with salt, pepper, green onions, and mushrooms.
Add the wine to the frying pan drippings and simmer for 1 minute. Stir 1 tablespoon of the reserved flour mixture into half (1 cup) of the sour cream. Add to the skillet and gently heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Pour sauce evenly over the chicken in the claypot. Sprinkle with Swiss cheese and cover with the lid.
Place claypot in a cold oven and turn heat up to 475 F. Bake about 45 minutes, depending on chicken, checking for doneness after 30 minutes.
Remove chicken and vegetables to a platter and tent with foil. Pour juices from the claypot into a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk 1 tablespoon of the reserved flour mixture into the remaining 1 cup of sour cream and stir into the pan juices, heating until thickened.
Serve chicken with the vegetables on top and pass the sauce in a gravy boat.
Yield: 4 servings
Swiss Chicken with Mushrooms Recipe Photo © 2010 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.