Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, divided use
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 Tablespoons Madeira wine
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded chicken (from a rotisserie chicken)
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas
- 8 (1-inch-thick) slices of bakery white country bread (about 1 pound), crusts removed
In a large ovenproof nonstick skillet, melt 2 Tablespoons of the butter. Add the onion, mushrooms, and carrots and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over high heat, stirring once, until the vegetables are just softened, about 1 minute. Uncover and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the flour and paprika and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the stock and Madeira wine and cook, stirring, until blended. Add the milk and bring to a gentle boil. Stir in the chicken and peas and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
Arrange the bread over the chicken mixture, trimming it to fit snugly in a single layer. Brush the bread with the remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter. Bake for about 20 minutes, until the filling is bubbling and the bread is golden. Serve right away.
Yield: 6 Servings
Recipe Source: Food & Wine Reinventing the Classics edited by Dana Cowin (Food & Wine)
Photo © 2010 FOOD & WINE/Stephanie Foley, licensed to About.com, Inc.