Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1 (4 to 6 pounds) whole chicken
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed between palms
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne or chipotle pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
Whisk together brown sugar, paprika, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, allspice, cayenne or chipotle pepper, and black pepper until combined. Sprinkle this mixture over the exterior of the chicken and salt the cavity. Place seasoned chicken in a resealable bag or wrap in two layers of plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 to 6 hours or overnight (see Notes).
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a roaster pan with foil, shiny-side up. Insert a V-rack in the pan.
Place the chicken breast-side up (see Notes) in the V-rack. Pierce the inside the cavity of the bird in 4 or 5 places to allow the steam to penetrate. Stuff the cavity with the onion quarters. Roast for 2 hours, or until an instant-read thermometer reaches 165 F. when inserted into the thickest part of the meat (not touching bone).
Let chicken rest for 15 minutes before carving to serve. Discard onions from the cavity.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Notes: If you do not have the time to wait for marination, the chicken will be just fine if you immediately cook it after seasoning. If presentation is not an issue, consider roasting the chicken breast-side down. This allows all the juices to drip into the breast meat for a more moist result.
Baked Rotisserie-Style Chicken Photo © 2011 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Suggested Related Recipes• Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Recipe
• Baked Buttermilk Chicken Recipe
• Basic Beer-Can Chicken Recipe
• Chicken with Forty Cloves of Garlic Recipe
• Chicken Tarragon Recipe
• Orange Chicken Recipe
• Lemonade Chicken Recipe
• Lemon Sage Chicken Marinade Recipe
• Marmalade Oven-Fried Chicken Recipe
• Orange Amaretto Chicken Recipe
• Orange Ginger Chicken Recipe
• Swiss Chicken with Mushrooms Recipe
• Turducken Recipe