Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1 pound ground beef (preferably chuck)
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh cilantro (coriander leaves)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle Tabasco® sauce or 1/4 teaspoon dried ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, unthawed
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 2 (8 ounces each) cans tomato sauce
- 4 medium flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar or Mexican blend cheese, divided use
- Optional Garnishes:
- Sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- Black olives
- Chopped tomatoes or pico de gallo
Brown ground beef in a large skillet, adding in seasonings while cooking. Once beef is almost fully browned, add sweet onions. When beef is completely browned and onions start to become soft and fragrant, stir in black beans, corn, and tomato sauce. Remove from heat.
Place half of the ground beef mixture into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle evenly with 3/4 cup cheese. Place 2 of the flour tortillas over the cheese (cut to fit), and then add another 3/4 cup of cheese on top of the tortillas. Add the remaining meat mixture on top of the cheese and repeat the procedure with the remaining tortillas and cheese.
Bake on the middle rack in the oven for approximately 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cheese has become a light brown and is crispy.
Let stand for 10 to15 minutes before cutting. Garnish, if desired.
Yield : 6 to 8 servings
Mexican Lasagna Recipe Photo © 2010 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.