Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 1 pound kielbasa or other smoked sausage thick links
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped collard greens, thawed and excess moisture squeezed out
- Cornbread Topping:
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- Sour cream and chopped parsley for garnish, optional
Slice the sausage into 1-inch-thick rounds, then cut each round in half.
In an oven-proof, deep heavy skillet, saute sausage and sweet onions in the olive oil until lightly browned, stirring often. Add garlic and saute an additional 1 minute.
Stir in black-eyed peas, chicken broth, hot sauce, and collard greens. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
While sausage and peas are simmering, prepare cornbread topping. Whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in buttermilk, egg, vegetable oil, Cheddar cheese, and parsley until smooth.
When sausage and black-eyed peas are done simmering, spoon cornbread batter evenly over the top in the same oven-proof deep skillet. Bake uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes until cornbread is done and lightly browned.
To serve, spoon out portions making sure each guest gets some of the cornbread. Top with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped parsley, if desired.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings