Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 large chicken breast halves)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried sage, divided use
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, divided use
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, unthawed
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups homemade biscuit baking mix, (or Bisquick®)
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup strong chicken broth
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup fine-shredded Cheddar cheese
Pour melted butter into a 9- by 13-inch glass casserole dish and swirl to evenly coat the bottom.
Cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch chunks. Spread evenly over the bottom of the casserole. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the sage, 1 teaspoon of the thyme, then the pepper. Top with the frozen mixed vegetables, onions, and roasted red peppers.
Whisk together baking mix, onion powder, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon the sage and 1/2 teaspoon thyme. Using a large dinner fork, stir in milk just until combined. Slowly pour over the chicken and vegetable mix.
Whisk together chicken broth and condensed chicken soup until combined. Again, slowly pour evenly over the baking mixture. Finally, top with the Cheddar cheese.
Bake the casserole for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Leftover chicken or pre-cooked rotisserie chicken may be substituted for the chicken breasts. Ham chunks are another good substitution.
Try varying the vegetables. Most of the frozen mixed vegetables include sweet peas, corn, carrots, and green beans. Other options include asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, or whatever sounds good to you.
For an easy beef pot pie, a few substitutions are in order. Use leftover pot roast instead of chicken. Substitute basil and oregano for the thyme and sage; beef stock for the chicken stock; and cream of mushroom soup for the chicken soup.
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole Recipe Photo © 2013 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Suggested Related Recipes Amaretto Chicken & Creamed Noodles Recipe
Chicken Broccoli Amandine Recipe
Chicken or Turkey Tetrazzini Recipe
Easy Chicken Casserole Recipe
Fennel Chicken and Rice Recipe
Skillet Chicken & Mushroom Potpie Recipe
Turkey, Leek, Broccoli Pie with Potato Crust Recipe
White Chicken Asparagus Lasagna Recipe
Ultimate Spinach and Turkey Lasagna Recipe